Come to the Feast

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

A Friend Who Sticks Closer Than A Brother

Among the other genetics I inherited from my parents is the gene, or lack thereof, that causes the short-circuit in my brain that leads to depression. Most of the time, with good health and the right medication, this has been manageable. Last summer, however, due to a series of circumstances and a pharmacist's error in filling my medication, my depression got to the point of dangerous.

During this time I learned a lot of things.

I learned that even though I sit at the front of our large auditorium at church, I could walk all the way in to my seat and all the way out without anyone speaking to me.

I learned that I could cry all the way through service (a lot of times) without bothering anyone (at least if I did, they never let me know it).

I learned that most people don't really want to hear an answer when they ask, "How are you?" I learned that if you say, "not well" most people don't know how to respond and they generally can't move away from you fast enough.

But, there is another thing I also learned.

I learned that no matter how much I tried, there was one person who would not be shut out of my pain. One person I could always count on to seek me out, to give me a hug, to say, "I love you" and to ask, "How are you?" and really mean it. When my pain was so great I could not appreciate his gift, even then he would not be put off. He never took offense if I didn't want to talk. He even took the time to share some of his own pain with me. He was always there, with gentle encouragement. Never pushing too much, but always letting me know that he was there for me when I was ready. And when I could talk, he sat and listened as my tears flowed and he heard things that were painful for me to say, some that had been locked in my heart for years. And loved me anyway.

You cannot know how much difference it makes when a person really goes out of their way to speak and to give a hug, unless you have been on the needy end of that hug. It says, "you matter, you are important."

I am not unique in this man's life. There are many people who receive the gift of his hugs. And his quiet words of encouragement. He gently goes about teaching us, challenging us and leading us to a more Christlike life. If the truth be told, there are probably many, many others with similar stories. He has not always been this way, he will tell you. Getting there was not necessarily easy. But what a blessing for all of us that he has made that journey.

Babies and little children love him. So do big children. He challenges us to think beyond where we have been. Our lives are all better because we have known him.

Calvin, from the bottom of my heart, thank you - for never giving up on me. For pushing me when it was uncomfortable for both of us. For allowing me to be me. And for showing me the love of Jesus. Keep writing. Keep rocking the babies. Keep hugging. And know that you have made and do make a difference.

"A man that hath friends must show himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother." Proverbs 18:24

"All things are ready, come to the feast! Leave every care and worldly strife; Come, feast upon the love of God, and drink everlasting life."

God, I thank you that no matter what, you never give up on us. I thank you that you put people in our lives who don't give up on us. I especially thank you for Calvin, for his quiet persistance and love, and the gift of compassion. I thank you for the ministry he has to so many. I pray for healing for the grief he has for the loss of a friend, and the continued grief at the loss of his father, and concern for his mother. I pray for him as he prepares for his new role as a grandfather. And the hole in his heart because of the children who are no longer present at our Sunday night gatherings. God, thank you for friends who stick closer than a brother. Help us each to be that kind of friend. In Jesus name, Amen.


Visit http://gampac.blogspot.com/