Come to the Feast

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Blessings Abundantly

God has a way of putting people in our paths so they can bless us.

I first met Jo about 15 years ago, when we were in training together for our jobs. Over the years, we ran into each other at annual conferences, and we talked occasionally. We shared a common faith that bound us across miles and time. Many times I would call her and she would pray over me. I love to hear her pray. You can tell it is something she does a lot and that she knows the Father intimately. She finds the words my heart feels but my tongue cannot voice.

During the first years I came to know her, her young adult son was murdered. She survived that baptism of fire through her faith in God.

We each shared a lot of hurt in the work situation and championed our causes to each other. She was mistreated time and time again, simply because of the color of her skin. Yet, each time she was passed over for a much-deserved promotion, she would tell me, "God is in control. He gives promotion." She would quietly go about doing her job and doing it well. In spite of all the discrimination and persecution, she excels in her performance. She receives little recognition from those who supervise her, but continues to be God at work. And to me, she is my rock. The one I know who is always praying for me. We don't see each other often. She has lived too far away for that. But we have kept in touch through e-mail and phone calls. And always have been bound in heart. I have no doubt in my mind that her prayers have been part of the fiber that has kept me going over the past year in particular.

Yesterday, I received an e-mail from her. A mammogram detected a spot on her breast. A biopsy indicted it is serious. She needs to have surgery soon. This has caused some concern for her. She has an elderly mother she is caring for. She has a child she is raising for a friend. People depend on her.

She asked me to pray for her. She knows that I will. In addition to that, I will be thinking of her every step of the way. I know she has a tremendous family of faith where she lives. And so, when she includes me in this crisis in her life, it is special. Because God's family transcends miles, and race, and experiences.

This is part of the e-mail I got from her:

"I am going in the name of the Lord, and I am expecting Him to completely heal me in the name of Jesus. I have to trust God because He is the only one who can heal me."

Trusting always in the Lord, sharing her faith with those around her, and blessing me even through her trials, I am so glad that God has put this faithful woman in my life.

God, I come to you on bended knees, bringing before you your servant and my friend. I ask your peace fill her heart. I ask your angels surround her in the days ahead. I ask your angels guide the doctor's knife when the surgery is performed, and that all the cancerous tissue be removed, that the surgery be a complete and total success. Surround her with the presence of those who can bring calm assurance and those who can care for the ones who depend on her care. Thank you, God, for blessing me so with such a friend.

"For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom his whole family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge - that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." Eph. 3:14-21.

Pray for Jo in the days ahead, for a calm spirit and a good outcome to the surgery. She has been worrying about Karen and Judy, our co-workers, so this weighs heavy on her heart.