The Best Things in Life Aren't . . .
I've been doing a lot of thinking the last few days. Ever since talking with Josh's mom, when she told me how much Josh talked about us.
Many years ago, my husband and I sold our house in Abilene and moved to Kentucky. We didn't have jobs there, but figured finding something wouldn't be all that difficult. Turned out we were wrong. So, after selling whatever we could, the months moved into winter and we went into survival mode by stripping tobacco. If you want to know more about that I can tell you, but suffice it to say it is dirty, nasty and tiring work. The upside is that you don't have to think a lot and so you can talk while you work. Most people who were stripping (tobacco) for my cousin were retired members of the community. It was a great way to learn a lot about the neighborhood in a short time. One of the couples we met lived not far down the road from us. When summer came, in the evenings after we got home from work (we had found other gainful employment by then) we would hop on our bikes and go for a ride. When we got to Kitty & Clifford's house, they would usually be sitting on the front porch in their white rocking chairs. We would stop and chat for a while. Now, Kitty & Clifford were not neglected by their children - far from it. So we were always amazed when we would see their children and they would say to us, "Mom and Dad talk about you all the time, and tell us how much you do for them." Do for them? We sat on the porch and talked to them.
I was recently talking with one of my co-workers, a close friend of Karen's. She was telling me that Karen told her how much she appreciated all I had done for her. Done for her? I have gone by the hospital to visit her, sometimes for only a few minutes, others for just a little longer.
And then, Josh's mom told me how much Josh appreciated what we did for him. Did for him? We fed him a few times, and waited around after some basketball games to give him a hug.
Last week I got a new computer. And a dear brother of mine has spent several hours getting it up and running for me. He took time away from other things he could have been doing to make sure my computer was set up properly. That is a gift you can't buy with money.
So many times we think we can't make a difference because we don't have any money. But, it seems to me that we have so many opportunities to do for others simply by giving of ourselves. And I think that matters more than any thing we could buy.
The best things in life - aren't things.
God, how many times in life have I let an opportunity to minister to someone pass because I didn't take the time just to reach out a hand - to make a phone call, write a note, visit, or just sit and listen? Make me more aware of the people you place in my path. Let me never take anything for granted, but to always be willing to give. Help me to remember that the things that count in life are not things. In Jesus name, Amen.
Many years ago, my husband and I sold our house in Abilene and moved to Kentucky. We didn't have jobs there, but figured finding something wouldn't be all that difficult. Turned out we were wrong. So, after selling whatever we could, the months moved into winter and we went into survival mode by stripping tobacco. If you want to know more about that I can tell you, but suffice it to say it is dirty, nasty and tiring work. The upside is that you don't have to think a lot and so you can talk while you work. Most people who were stripping (tobacco) for my cousin were retired members of the community. It was a great way to learn a lot about the neighborhood in a short time. One of the couples we met lived not far down the road from us. When summer came, in the evenings after we got home from work (we had found other gainful employment by then) we would hop on our bikes and go for a ride. When we got to Kitty & Clifford's house, they would usually be sitting on the front porch in their white rocking chairs. We would stop and chat for a while. Now, Kitty & Clifford were not neglected by their children - far from it. So we were always amazed when we would see their children and they would say to us, "Mom and Dad talk about you all the time, and tell us how much you do for them." Do for them? We sat on the porch and talked to them.
I was recently talking with one of my co-workers, a close friend of Karen's. She was telling me that Karen told her how much she appreciated all I had done for her. Done for her? I have gone by the hospital to visit her, sometimes for only a few minutes, others for just a little longer.
And then, Josh's mom told me how much Josh appreciated what we did for him. Did for him? We fed him a few times, and waited around after some basketball games to give him a hug.
Last week I got a new computer. And a dear brother of mine has spent several hours getting it up and running for me. He took time away from other things he could have been doing to make sure my computer was set up properly. That is a gift you can't buy with money.
So many times we think we can't make a difference because we don't have any money. But, it seems to me that we have so many opportunities to do for others simply by giving of ourselves. And I think that matters more than any thing we could buy.
The best things in life - aren't things.
God, how many times in life have I let an opportunity to minister to someone pass because I didn't take the time just to reach out a hand - to make a phone call, write a note, visit, or just sit and listen? Make me more aware of the people you place in my path. Let me never take anything for granted, but to always be willing to give. Help me to remember that the things that count in life are not things. In Jesus name, Amen.
