Come to the Feast

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Praying for a Miracle

I have a friend who is a single mom, raising three young daughters on her own. She works a night shift, to get the shift differential and to be able to enroll her daughters in some sports activities and attend those events. A while back she developed a bacterial infection that has hung on, despite several rounds of antibiotics. She has spent most of the past six weeks in the hospital. She got to go home last Thursday evening, only to be called by her doctor and told to go back to the emergency room. During the process of some additional testing, he discovered a rather massive blood clot in her arm. Had it not been caught when it was, it could have broken loose and gone to her lungs.

When I called to talk with her on Friday, the doctor had just left her room. She would be hospitalized another five days. She told me she was depressed. Understandably so. Six weeks in the hospital would do that to anyone. A bacterial infection that will not go away. And three children who depend on you for care having to be left with others. Missing their first soccer game. Not having a paycheck coming in. I think that might get most anyone down. But the thing I have learned about Terri is this - no matter how badly she feels, whenever I talk to her, she always asks how I am doing. Always asks what she can do for me. She is an incredible example to me.

I'm praying that God will remove this infection from her and give her strength to return home to her girls and to work. Praying for a miracle.