Come to the Feast

Friday, July 14, 2006

The Best Beans I've Ever Eaten

My husband and I were almost newly-weds in 1973 when we moved from Manhattan (as in New York City) to Abilene. We were settling in to our new home when our next-door neighbor knocked on the door. He had a bowl of pinto beans and a plate of corn bread his wife had sent over. We were hot and tired and didn't have much way to cook at the time. They were unquestionably the best beans I had ever eaten.

From that day forward, we have made it a habit that whenever we know someone is moving we take food to them. It may not always be beans - sometimes it's pizza, maybe sandwiches, whatever. But we always try to be sure there is food available on moving day, whether the move is in or out.

Not too long ago, this sweet young couple from our church invited us to dinner at their house. She had cooked some beans and cornbread. We haven't had many invitations into homes for a meal in quite some time, and I have to tell you - they were unquestionably the best beans I have ever eaten. It was wonderful to sit around their table and enjoy their company and fellowship over a bowl of beans.

Hospitality seems to be a thing of the past. People are too busy, or think they have to do something elaborate, or I don't know what. But really, it's opening your heart to someone that matters. The type of food you put on the table doesn't matter. The table decorations don't matter. What matters is that you take the time to say to someone, you are important enough to me that I want to sit at the table with you and break bread. Good things happen when we take the time to do that. Jesus knew that. I think that is why the Lord's supper was instituted around the table while he was breaking bread with his friends.